We’ve riffed on the wonders of the Roberto Luongo interview before, most notably his penchant for gallows humour when nobody’s quite in the mood (and this photo), but there’s more to it than just that. Luongo isn’t just a master of the self-deprecating quote — he’s also the most expressive player in the NHL: Funny Bob makes some incredible faces. Case in point, this one:
Your guess is as good as mine. Moving on.
Often, these remarkable looks go unnoticed when you watch Luongo’s interviews in real time, but if watch for them closely, as frequent collaborator Chloe Ezra often does, you can find pure gold. Her Tumblr account is a treasure trove of strange Lu-faces, slowed down, isolated, and gif’d.
With the new year just around the corner, we asked Chloe to curate a list of her 10 favourites, what for to bring the many faces of Funny Bob to a wider audience, and also to fill your home with Christmas cheer — or wonder, or dread, or whatever emotion Roberto Luongo is randomly expressing today. Chloe’s choices are impeccable.
When you laugh, be sure to laugh aloud. It opens up the pores.
10) In which Roberto Luongo finds all this Stanley Cup Final attention uncomfortable, and quietly retreats to his happy place, which, judging from his brief facial expression, is an Adam Sandler movie.
9) In which, in the midst of answering a question, Roberto Luongo has a sudden business idea, an idea so savvy idea it calls for a quick beard-stroke.
8) In which Roberto Luongo is really, really, really, really interested in the question.
7) In which teammates double dog dare Roberto Luongo to answer every question in a pregame interview with the word “brap”.
6) In which Roberto Luongo works really hard not to let on that he finds the interviewer’s question incredibly stupid, and fails.
5) In which — okay, I don’t even know.
4) In which Roberto Luongo is super freaking creepy.
3) In which Luongo’s secret twin brother Luigi pretends to be Roberto after practice, and begins to worry that the media suspect he’s not who he says he is.
2) In which Roberto Luongo is just a beautiful man. Oh, what’s that? A lock of my long, raven hair has fallen precociously out of place and I look like a model? Let me get that.
1) In which Roberto Luongo is impressed with your knowledge of the subject at hand… and then decides he will be eating your brain.
Tags: animated gifs, Blogs are for lists, Chloe Ezra, Funny Bob, Luongo