While scaning the Canucks tumblr feed earlier this morning (a place just teeming with love for Sami Salo), I came across the following catchphrase, from the mind of Claire Gibson: “Salo is Your Pal-o.” And, not unlike the day I discovered that “Dammit I’m Mad” was a palindrome, this blew my mind.
Considering that Salo is the ultimate team guy and his teammates adore him, this catchphrase is as accurate as it is awesome, and it deserves to be more widely used. Better yet, it has to be on a t-shirt, and that’s why PITB is launching The ‘SALO IS YOUR PAL-O’ T-shirt Design Contest, which will solicit images for and award prizes to what will presumably be the best t-shirt ever made. Here’s how to enter:
1. Open up Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or some such other illustrating software (MS Paint y’all!) and create the awesomest t-shirt design you can, obviously incorporating the central “Salo is Your Pal-O” slogan. Make it just as awesome as a phrase like that deserves. Also make it nice and big.
2. Submit said design to us, via e-mail (email@example.com), by Sunday, November 20.
Here’s the best part: this contest is a total prizefest, ya’ll. The top five designs will all receive something for their efforts.
• 5th, 4th and 3rd place will receive copies of the Maple Street Press Canucks Annual, which may be previewing a season that’s already started, but features a ton of stellar Canucks writing nonetheless.
• 2nd place will receive a t-shirt featuring their ‘Salo is Your Pal-o’ design, what for wearing about town and looking snazzy and stuff.
• 1st place will not only receive a copy of the t-shirt they’ve designed, but a copy of the 2nd place shirt as well. Two shirts! Or, put another way, all the “Salo is Your Pal-o” apparel in existence.
And don’t think the panel of judges is simply in-house. In addition to myself and Daniel, the winners will be determined by the following pantheon: Puck Daddy editor Greg Wyshynski, The Province beat writer Jason Botchford, Vancouver Sun columnist Cam Cole, Sportsnet columnist Mark Spector (boo! how he did get in here?!), host of Sportsnet’s Hockey Central Jeff Marek, Grantland columnist Katie Baker, and Vancouver Canucks’ writer Derek Jory, who may even consult the man himself.
Why such a star-studded lineup? No reason whatsoever. But it’s pretty impressive, no? Rest easy, contest entrants, you’re in the good hands of hockey’s writing League of Extraordinary Gentlepersons (there’s a woman).
And finally, if you’re still debating whether or not to enter (if so, what’s wrong with you, this contest is nuts), consider the following: the last time PITB combined with a reader to produce an awesome t-shirt design, it led to the Tanner Glass Scrabble challenge. Who knows where your shirt could end up?
Pro-tip: A Google Image search for “Salo” without putting “Sami” in front of it will yield NSFW results.Tags: PITB Contests, Salo is your Palo