Yesterday, as David Booth was surrounded by a massive horde of hockey writers cramming cameras and microphones into his face like grandmas with spoons full of pudding, Canucks’ coach Alain Vigneault walked past and said with a chuckle, “Welcome to Vancouver.”
Yes, things are a little different here. While I won’t go as far as to say that no one cares about hockey in Florida — although, when an infomercial outrates your live game telecasts, um, the point sort of makes itself — it’s safe to say that the editorial board of the Miami Herald isn’t suggesting roster moves. No, that only happens here.
Pretty much everything David Booth does now is a story, and if there’s a way to turn it into a controversy, you’d better believe somebody’s on it. For instance, had Booth chosen to sit out Tuesday morning’s optional game day skate on the morning of his debut — a reasonable option, since it was optional, and he’s probably exhausted — it would have been a story. Heck, people were watching for it:
Jim Jamieson’s being ironic, but only because he knows what we all know: by simply showing up, Booth dodged a bullet. He was this close to being run out of town on his second day — that’s a Marco Sturm-level turnaround. Here are 10 potential David Booth headlines that the newest Canuck just avoided.
1. David Booth refuses to skate with team
2. David Booth stays in hotel room, perhaps to cry some more
3. We have a ‘Situation’ on our hands: Booth cares more about tanned abs than hard work
4. David Booth sits out game day skate, presumably to count his millions
5. David Booth, lazy player? Poor plus/minus and tendency to skip game day skates a concern
6. American Express line struggles with chemistry in first game; maybe Booth should have attended game day skate
7. Emotional Booth skips skate; just latest in rich history of theatrical American Booths
8. Our solution: trade Booth for Vinny (news editorial)
9. Alain Vigneault still treating Cody Hodgson like dirt; Booth skips game day skate, still gets Hodgson’s minutes
10. Bring back Marco Sturm
Okay, maybe not that last one.Tags: booth controversies, david booth, featured, scary media, spotlight